From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire-ish portage scanner
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 00:03:49
1 Andrea Barisani wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 09:16:05PM +0100, Michel Wilson wrote:
3 >
4 >>On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 02:03:45PM -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Tom Hosiawa wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>>What about qpkq being compromised itself. As I understand it, in
9 >>>>tripwire, cryptographic keys are used for the policy file.
10 >>>>
11 >>>>Couldn't an attacker mess around with which files qpkq scans?
12 >>>
13 >>>That's another good reason for a customer portage-integrated solution.
14 >>>
15 >>
16 >>Oh yeah, that's a little 'detail' I forgot, yes :P
17 >>The integrity scanner itself can indeed be compromised. There isn't much
18 >>we can do about this, it's a chicken-and-egg problem. One solution would
19 >>be a read-only medium to store the scanner on, or a copy of gpg + the
20 >>signature of the scanner. But that is kind of problematic. And what
21 >>about an attacker that installs a rootkit so that the scanned files
22 >>appear to be intact when opened by the scanner, but not when opened by
23 >>the kernel?
24 >>To make a long story short, one can never be sure. My opinion is that
25 >>something along the lines of Tripwire is secure enough in most cases.
26 >>Tripwire can also be fooled by replacing the binary itself. If the
27 >>attacker does it right, no-one will notice. I.e. same file size, only skip
28 >>scanning files that are compromised so that there will still be false
29 >>alerts upon upgrades, etc.
30 >>
31 >>Michel Wilson.
34 > I suggest that you look at samhain:
35 >
36 > http://la-samhna.de/samhain
37 >
38 > It's an excellent file integrity and host-based intrusion detection system
39 > with advanced features that solves the "chicken-and-egg" problem along with
40 > other cool gizmos :).
41
42 From the site:
43
44 Support for a stealth mode of operation
45
46 Is there a way to make a process not show up in 'ps' output?
49 Andrew Gaffney
50 Network Administrator
51 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
52 636-357-1548