From: Antoine Martin <antoine@××××××××××.uk>
To: klaus@××××××××××.net
Cc: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@××××××××××.jp>, gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Out of air
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:10:26
1 On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:55 +0100, Klaus Wagner wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 12:54:44PM +0000, Antoine Martin wrote:
3 > > I think we all admit it may take some time, but we are talking about the
4 > > quick and dirty solution as a stop-gap measure, nothing else.
5 > > And if the better solution takes more than 1.5years to roll out, backup
6 > > plans are just common sense - not criticism.
9 > > I is just a cron job and a script, how would that double the amount of
10 > > work in the future?!?
11 >
12 > I really don't see how this is greatly improving security.
13 > A cronjob, that is AUTOMATICALLY signing everything it get's
14 > wouldn't make me happy.
15 >
16 > Security, is not only signation and cryptography.
17 > When it comes to signation, I have to trust every point
18 > in the process, and I don't trust cronjobs and "in memory"
19 > passphrases, or even worse unprotected private keys.
20 Sure, I agree with you. This is would not solve *all* problems.
21
22 But it would solve the problem that this thread started on, which is to
23 trust all the hops between your box and the gentoo servers. Which is a
24 greater risk than a compromised gentoo server.
28 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list