From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] tripwire-ish portage scanner
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 19:25:22
1 Michel Wilson wrote:
2 > On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 12:46:25PM -0600, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
3 >
4 >>I've come up with a quick n' dirty Perl script to use portage's MD5s in a
5 >>tripwire fashion.
6 >
7 > Didn't you know about qpkg? qpkg already does this, qpkg -c checks mtime
8 > and md5sum for all packages. With -v it will list the exact files that
9 > mismatch.. The only thing that's lacking is checking the integrity of
10 > the md5sums themselves with some kind of signature.
11
12 Yes, I did, but Perl is faster than bash. Plus, I love reinventing the wheel ;) My end
13 goal is to make this something that can be integrated into portage. For example, you will
14 be able to run it with a certain command line option and it will scan through /etc or even
15 everything in CONFIG_PROTECT and update portage's MD5SUM's for modified config files.
16 Although, this could cause problems if the portage people ever implement the feature where
17 new config files simply replace old ones if they haven't been modified.
20 Andrew Gaffney
21 Network Administrator
22 Skyline Aeronautics, LLC.
23 636-357-1548