From: Jonathan Wright <mail@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: [gentoo-security] postfix and SASL
Date: Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:50:11
Joe Strusz wrote:
> OK, well i disabled the smtpd_tl_auth_only line. > > And now whenever i try to connect via say outlook express on a client > machine... > > I check the box that says, "my outgoing server requires authentication", > and i do get the password prompt, however whichever login/password i try > to use it gets rejected, over and over and over again... > > any suggestions?
SASL doesn't use system authentication (such as PAM/LDAP) by default. It uses it's own password database (similar to the way samba works). Make sure that you run: saslpasswd2 -c <username> to add the user (and their password) to the SASL authentication database. -- Jonathan Wright ~ mail at ~ -- 2.6.12-gentoo-r6-djnauk-b2 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+ up 5 days, 5:17, 4 users, load average: 0.47, 0.32, 0.29 -- "The world is not divided into sheeps and goats. Not all things are black nor all things white. It is a fundamental of taxonomy that nature rarely deals with discrete categories. Only the human mind invents categories and tries to force facts into separated pigeon-holes." "The living world is a continuum in each and every one of its aspects. The sooner we learn this concerning sexual behavior the sooner we shall reach a sound understanding of the realities of sex." ~ Alfred Kinsey, Sexual Behavior in the Human Male, 1948 -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list