From: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] PAM/passwd? and hash tables
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:00:48
1 Thanks for the replies
2
3 I have done some further reading on the matter and seem to have come
4 across a paradox of sorts.
5 What got me intersted was that an article claiming that the hash
6 tables may be used for "evil " purposes but it was pointed out to me
7 that without the hash you have no comparison so what use is a hash
8 table, indeed you would also have had to gain access to the
9 /etc/shadow file to get the hash and since that requires root
10 priviledge it would seem you allready have a larger problem than
11 losing a password to clear text.
12 Of course I am only thinking of a remote login via 22 as that is what
13 primarily concerns me at the moment. So in short it seems I am safe
14 with my system as it is for now.
15
16 stu
17
18 ps on a side note
19 NBS DES
20 National Bureau of Standards Data Encryption Standard
21 http://www.garykessler.net/library/crypto.html#desmath