From: Kurt Lieber <klieber@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Re: Gentoo TOTALLY secure now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 18:36:01
1 On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 07:23:49PM +0100 or thereabouts, Peter Simons wrote:
2 > And what pisses me off is not that _I_ have been treated
3 > somewhat unfriendly here on this list, it is that "some"
4 > guys are recklessly ignoring a security vulnerability that
5 > threatens your users -- no matter how minor the risk may be.
6
7 Nobody is recklessly ignoring anything. I suggested an option which will
8 give those users that care the ability to verify the contents of every
9 single file under /usr/portage. Namely, signing the daily snapshots of the
10 tree. You indicated that you didn't think this was sufficient and that
11 instead, you wanted hashes generated of every file in the tree because
12 otherwise, "regular" users would be unprotected.
13
14 What was unclear about your request is how the functionality was going to
15 be integrated into 'emerge sync'. Are you expecting the portage devs to
16 drop everything and integrate that functionality immediately?
17
18 What is also unclear is why the first option is insufficient. You stated a
19 requirement to be able to verify the integrity and authenticity of every
20 file under /usr/portage/ to ensure that no MIM attacks were taking place.
21 The suggestion of signing snapshots meets that requirement in every way and
22 does it in a way that introduces very little risk to our system.
23
24 > If that is not on-topic here, and I wonder what is.
25
26 I've never said your posts were off-topic. I said you were attacking
27 people -- not just Gentoo developers, but other users. Please do not
28 attack the members of this list.
29
30 --kurt