From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] gpg keys; GSWoT & PGP Global Directory Key
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2008 18:08:31

Matthias Bethke wrote:
| Hi Eric,
| on Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 03:13:43PM -0400, you wrote:
|> I'm seeing a bunch of keys in my keyring with GSWoT(1) and PGP Global
|> Directory(2) signatures on them.  Obviously both websites encourage you
|> to download their keys and trust them.  While I realize what keys you
|> trust is totally up to you, I'm wondering what fellow people do.  My
|> idea was to /maybe/ add them in as moderates that way they don't run my
|> keyring for me, but still vouch for people where necessary.
| As far as I can see, the PGP Global Directory does no verification apart
| from checking that an email address exists, so its signature isn't worth
| much for the WoT. The GSWoT signatures on the other hand mean the owner
| of the key has been personally checked by an introducer. It's a matter
| of taste but I usually don't sign role account keys, I think they should
| be signed by members of the institution (the introducers in this case)
| whom I can choose to trust because their identity can be verified. So as
| I wanted to trust the GSWoT key, I just imported some intermediate keys
| to build a couple of marginal trust paths via people I've met
| personally.
| cheers,
| 	Matthias
Ok, thanks.  I don't have those marginal trust paths but I do have a few
introducers near me and I was planning on getting together and signing
keys.  I'll have to bump those plans up.  Thanks for the pointers.

- --
Eric Martin
PGP fingerprint = D1C4 086E DBB5 C18E 6FDA  B215 6A25 7174 A941 3B9F
Version: GnuPG v1.4.7 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -