From: Scott Taylor <scott@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 22:09:33
1 Replying in a specific manner which may have been at one point the
2 proper and polite way for an IP stack to behave, often turns into a
3 method for abuse. Spoof a bunch of syn packets to a host you know
4 replies with a rst, and it sends all those extra packets to a victim
5 machine who never sent the syn packet in the first place. So that
6 machine sends back "port unreachables" and further clogs up their
7 network.
8
9 Add to that all the silly microsoft products that either blatantly
10 ignore or just never bothered to read the appropriate RFC... For my
11 network, I opt to spew out as few replies to unwanted traffic as
12 possible. I've already got too many worms out there wasting my bandwidth
13 trying to infect me with the sql slammer or whatever the worm of the day
14 is. I'd rather not waste any more of my bandwidth telling them that they
15 can't connect here. They probably aren't even checking for an icmp
16 unreachable message back from me anyway.