From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo security policy
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:57:23
1 On 03/18/04 Tobias Weisserth wrote:
2
3 > Hello everybody,
4 >
5 > There seems to be a HUGE problem with consistency in Gentoo security
6 > announcements and coordination among Gentoo maintainers.
7 >
8 > Step by step:
9 >
10 > Why does it take Gentoo that long to react to security issues?
11 >
12 > Where can I get information about who is responsible for announcing
13 > Gentoo security related issues? Is there an official Gentoo security
14 > team like Debian has? Is there a single, responsible security
15 > manager/director?
16
17 security@g.o, I admit it's not very organized at the moment.
18
19 > Why are security announcements not handled in a consistent way? Just
20 > one example: There are at least three places where I have found Gentoo
21 > security announcements but not a single of these announcements
22 > appeared in all of these places. Rather I have to search for all of
23 > those announcements across several non-related media to collect them
24 > all. This is outrageous.
25
26 All security announcements should be posted on the gentoo-announce
27 mailing list, in the near future they'll also show up on
28 http://security.gentoo.org/glsa/
29
30 > Take the latest OpenSSL issue. Aida Escriva-Sammer posted a security
31 > announcement to full-disclosure. WHY CAN'T I FIND THIS SAME
32 > ANNOUNCEMENT IN THE OFFICIAL GENTOO ANNOUNCEMENT LISTS?!?!?!
33
34 Don't know why you can't but I see it there ...
35
36 > The latest security announcement on gentoo-announce is "Honeyd remote
37 > detection vulnerability" by Tim Yamin. This is just embarrassing. If
38 > you look at
39 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=16&sid=fbf41b023affaed791f083666ea5352b
40 > you'll see that the latest announcement there is "Linux kernel
41 > do_mremap local privilege escalation". HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THESE
42 > INCONSISTENT ANNOUNCEMENTS?
43
44 Check your subscription to gentoo-announce, there were 13 other
45 announcements on it after the honeyd announcement.
46
47 Marius
52 In the beginning, there was nothing. And God said, 'Let there be
53 Light.' And there was still nothing, but you could see a bit better.