From: Stuart Haas <stuart@××××××××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] new ssh worm?
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 21:57:17
1 This must be a gentoo thing. I checked my redhat AS 3 box and it does
2 not have a 'guest' account.
3
4 Stuart
5
6 Fluff wrote:
7
8 >Citerar Venkat Manakkal <venkat@××××××××××.com>:
13 >>Hash: SHA1
14 >>
15 >>On Tuesday 27 July 2004 17:01, Tobias Klausmann wrote:
18 >>>Hi!
19 >>>
20 >>>While we're all puzzled... I'm puzzled that there actually *is* a
21 >>>(disabled) guest account on my machine. I didn't create it, and I
22 >>>don't know what it is intended for - so I renamed it, just to be
23 >>>sure (and see stuff break).
24 >>>
25 >>>Anyone able to shed a light on this?
26 >>>
27 >>>Greets,
28 >>>Tobias
29 >>>
30 >>>
31 >>My guess is that installing samba creates it. Could someone verify?
32 >>
33 >>Cheers!
34 >>
35 >>- ---Venkat.
40 >I have two different computers with Gentoo installed. Samba is installed on one
41 >of them and both have a 'guest' user as UID 405.
42 >
43 >Btw, I haven't had any mysterious connections to my sshd but the knock-thing
44 >sounds interesting, I'm going to read that linuxjournal-thingy.
45 >
46 >Cheers,
47 >
48 >/Fluff
51 >--
52 >Fluff Abrahamsson
53 >TIMELESS SOLUTIONS
54 >
55 >T: 070 88 88 708
56 >F: 070 88 88 701
57 >E: fluff@×××××.se
60 >[Proudly presents: hypodea.com and photochallenge.net]
63 >---
64 >IMPORTANT NOTICE!
65 >
66 >The contents of this email are confidential and are for the exclusive use of the
67 >intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that
68 >any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the
69 >information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please note that,
70 >although this email has been virus-checked, neither Timeless Solutions HB nor
71 >the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility
72 >to scan the email and attachments (if any). If you believe you have received
73 >this communication in error, please return it (with the title "received in
74 >error") to the sender then delete the email and destroy any copies of it. We
75 >would be grateful if you would also copy the communication to service@×××××.se
76 >
78 >This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
81 >--
82 >gentoo-security@g.o mailing list
89 This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
90 For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email
94 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list