From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Encrypting a user home folder on a laptop
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 00:18:30
1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparse_file
4 On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 19:08 -0500, Randy Barlow wrote:
5 > bmicek@×××××××××.net wrote:
6 > > I spent time about a year ago looking into good encryption. At that
7 > >...
8 ....
9 > it makes a file that reports itself to be 1 GB long by ls -l, but
10 > doesn't seem to write 1 GB to the disk. Also, df doesn't report 1 GB
11 > less than before you run the command.
12 >
13 > What's happening here? I had assumed before I did this that the output
14 > of ls -l is the actual number of bits consumed by a file, but that
15 > doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
16 >
17 > I created a file using the second command, and now as I copy files into
18 > it I can see the disk space going down bit by bit. This is really what
19 > I wanted in the first place, but I am just confused as to what is really
20 > going on. Could anybody explain, please?
21 >
22 > --
23 > Randy Barlow
24 > http://electronsweatshop.com