From: Kevin van Haaren <kevin@×××××××××.net>
To: Terje Kvernes <terjekv@××××××××.no>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2004 18:02:25
1 Terje Kvernes wrote:
2
3 >Kevin van Haaren <kevin@×××××××××.net> writes:
6 >>(perhaps should be moved from the security list, although backups
7 >>are an essential part of security). I've got an old OnStream ADR
8 >>drive I want to get working on my Gentoo server (using AMANDA) but
9 >>haven't had time to mess around with it lately (fatal last words I
10 >>guess).
14 > these days, tapes are very rarely the best solution available.
19 I think a properly implemented tape backup still has it's place. Done
20 properly it gives you the ability to recover older versions of files.
21 The media is reusable and higher density than CD-R or DVD. It's
22 reasonably fast, and takes up less space than a multiple hard drive
23 solution.
24
25 But it really is only one phase. I prefer a 3 phase system:
26 1) RAID for fault tolerance
27 2) tape backup for system/file recovery
28 3) optical media for archive
29
30 At work we've had a rash (3 systems out of several hundred) go bad with
31 multiple hard-drive failures, so RAID wasn't even sufficient fault
32 tolerance and we had to fall back to restore from the previous nights
33 tapes, but our most common use for tape backup is recovering older
34 versions that were accidentally deleted/written over or corrupted.
35
36 But archives must last a longer period of time than tape so a well cared
37 for optical media gives longevity that tape just doesn't have.
41 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list