From: Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
To: Calum <gentoo-security@××××××××××××.uk>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo dev sources
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 20:15:04
1 On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 11:33, Calum wrote:
2 > On Monday 23 August 2004 16:27, you wrote:
3 > > > Are there any plans to bring all this into the 2.6 kernels, or is the
4 > > > move towards SELinux?
5 > >
6 > > Try hardened-dev-sources - they contain GRSecurity and PaX, and are
7 > > well-maintained.
8 >
9 > Thanks for that - not sure why I didn't notice that.
12 > But as a general feeling, do people feel that SELinux will become the
13 > hardening method of choice?
14
15 Absolutely NOT.
16
17 people are often confused about this topic.
18
19 Problem is selinux is gaining alot of publicity right now and people
20 think it's a replacement for grsec which it is not. We see this on the
21 gentoo-hardened mailing lists all the time. People tend to think.
22 "Hey whats this selinux thing I see people talking about it."
23 "It must be good, the NSA has something to do with it"
24
25 In reality it seems to be harder than heck to maintain and people
26 usually need help (why there is so much buzz), and only a limited number
27 of people seem to be able to write policy for it.
28
29 > I.e. If I have to make a choice and commit now,
30 > shall I stick with GRSec, or start looking at SE?
31
32 There is no feature that I'm aware of that selinux offers that grsec
33 does not handle. But it's always comes down to a matter of choice
34 (flavors if you will).
35 What works the best for you and your systems. (apples or oranges)
36
37 good luck.
41 > C
42 --
43 Ned Ludd <solar@g.o>
44 Gentoo (hardened,security,infrastructure,embedded,toolchain) Developer