From: Christian Kauhaus <kc@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] No GLSA since January?!?
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:50:58
1 Am 26.08.2011 20:08, schrieb Kevin Bryan:
2 > SECURITY_FIXES="<www-plugins/adobe-flash-10.1.102.64"
3 > SECURITY_REF="CVE:2010-2169 http://..."
4 > SECURITY_BUG="343089"
5 > SECURITY_IMPACT="remote"
6
7 Your idea sounds interesting and could lead to very cool technology like the
8 'ACCEPT_RISKS="..."' variable mentioned elsewhere in this thread.
9
10 But it does not solve a major part of the use case. In my opinion, we need to
11 get notifications about security risks over an independent channel without
12 having to update the portage tree.
13
14 For me (and the rest of my company) the greatest advantage of Gentoo over
15 other distributions it it's "continuous integration" approach. Updates get
16 committed to the portage tree continuously over time and administrators are
17 completely free on how often and when they update their systems. This is
18 great. But given I have an installed base and I have no reason to update the
19 portage tree now, I need a reliable information about "this package is
20 borked". Then I should go for update as fast as possible of course. :-)
21
22 So in consequence I would appreciate to have both mechanisms: a timely
23 up-front notification via GLSAs (probably more brief than the past ones) and
24 some sort of security masking.
25
26 Regards
27
28 Christian
31 Dipl.-Inf. Christian Kauhaus <>< · kc@××××××.com · systems administration
32 gocept gmbh & co. kg · forsterstraße 29 · 06112 halle (saale) · germany
33 http://gocept.com · tel +49 345 1229889 11 · fax +49 345 1229889 1
34 Zope and Plone consulting and development