From: Mark Ching <mac@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 04:06:42
I've seen this implementation before.  At my last job, it was a two fold
solution.   A remote power boot device and a serial console.  As for
inexpensive, that's a whole other issue.  What some people consider
expensive doens't match others.

If you are looking for a virtual reset button, you should only need to
look at the remote power boot devices.  Something like this:

There are definately others out there.  We picked this one because of
the amp load per circuit and costs.

Serial Consoles are a great thing depending on the application and need.
If you are managing a set of servers that you can't drive to, or
response times are imperative; this can create a suitable solution.
This can also be used for remote monitoring during installs via
tftpboot/kickstart/diskless image selection.

The flipside:  This creates additional security considerations.  You've
just created an additional access point to your machine/s, and aa access
point to power remotely.  A definate consideration to be applied to the
deivce/s you implement.

-- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list