From: Mark Ching <mac@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] OT: Remote Console for Linux boxes?
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 04:06:42
1 I've seen this implementation before. At my last job, it was a two fold
2 solution. A remote power boot device and a serial console. As for
3 inexpensive, that's a whole other issue. What some people consider
4 expensive doens't match others.
5
6 If you are looking for a virtual reset button, you should only need to
7 look at the remote power boot devices. Something like this:
8 http://www.avocent.com/web/en.nsf/Content/Cyclades_PM
9
10 There are definately others out there. We picked this one because of
11 the amp load per circuit and costs.
12
13 Serial Consoles are a great thing depending on the application and need.
14 If you are managing a set of servers that you can't drive to, or
15 response times are imperative; this can create a suitable solution.
16 This can also be used for remote monitoring during installs via
17 tftpboot/kickstart/diskless image selection.
18
19 The flipside: This creates additional security considerations. You've
20 just created an additional access point to your machine/s, and aa access
21 point to power remotely. A definate consideration to be applied to the
22 deivce/s you implement.
23
24 Mark