From: Volkov Peter Alexandrovich <PVolkov@××××××××.su>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] PAM takes a long time [solved].
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 12:16:06
1 Hi again. I thank gentoo-security mailing list members for attention and help in solving my problem.
2
3 Maybe this is a bit of "academical" interest, but maybe someone can explain me or may be a hyperlink...
4
5 I can set /etc/hosts and inspect /etc/nsswitch.conf for configuration, so to make my computer look at hosts file first. And soon I'm going to setup local DNS server. And this of course solve my problem with delays.
6
7 But one question remains. Why to login localy my station asks DNS? I thought that login program (with or without PAM) needs only login and password, then it compare it (of cource encrypted password) with items in the /etc/shadow and /etc/passwd file and with match login allows me to enter system.
8
9 What information login program needs to know from DNS to authenticate me?
10
11 Or more general. Why authentification with PAM needs some information from DNS and what is this information?
12
14
15 Volkov Peter, <pvolkov@××××××××.su>
16 Moscow State University, Phys. Dep.
18
19 Linux 2.4.25 i686
20 Mobile Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.60GHz
23 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list