From: Edward Faulkner <edward@×××.EDU>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 17:22:51
DROP will add about 3 minutes to the total cost of the scan, because
you need to wait for timeout.  This is the slowdown you're seeing.
However, during those three minutes you can scan 1, 10, or 10000
machines, and it will still take only three minutes.

To actually do this you'd probably need to increase nmap's
--max-parallelism parameter.