From: Tobias Weisserth <tobias@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 12:53:29
1 Hi everybody,
2
3 This doesn't seem to be my week. When I wanted to boot my Gentoo system
4 this morning, Grub wouldn't load. I discovered pretty fast that I am
5 experiencing a hard drive failure. My Samsung SP1604N quit on me. It's a
6 total loss. I could boot with Knoppix which recognised three of the
7 seven partitions and I could recover about 2GB of a total of 160GB. I
8 don't know what knocked it out, maybe a dying fan and death by cruelsome
9 heat.
10
11 I'm afraid I can't keep the schedule and today's GLPV announcement will
12 have to wait until I have recovered from the system loss. It will be
13 some time until I have set up another system, hopefully with Gentoo. I
14 hope you can forgive me this inconvenience ;-)
15
16 By the way, I lost most of my mails too. If you sent me anything
17 important please send it again, since I will probably not be able to
18 recover it. I had been in the process of setting up an IMAP server on a
19 different machine but mails to tobias@×××××××××.de were retrieved from
20 my ISP's pop server directly until today :-(
21
22 Consider my GnuPG key void since I'm not sure I can recover it. Maybe
23 it's among the stuff I recovered, maybe it isn't. I'll create a new one
24 anyway.
25
26 regards,
27 Tobias W.