From: Mark Hurst <mark@××××××.net>
To: Frank Gruellich <frank@××××××××××××.org>
Cc: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions?
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2004 08:36:09
> > > Not really. And why should a network scan be dangerous? Security by > > > obscurity doesn't work. You can scan a well configured host all day > > > long, who cares? > > > Why run a firewall at all if your hosts are so well configured? > > Because I want to offer services inside my network, I don't want to > offer to the rest of the world. Think again about this question: you > are asking, why routers are necessary.
Not at all, i was responding sarcastically to the assertion that it doesn't matter if someone is able to scan the hell out of a well-configured host. I don't agree with this. Today's well-configured host is tomorrows target. All it takes is one pair of eyes on one line of code. I don't recall asking why routers are necessary. I may be braindead and stupid, but i suspect they may have a purpose. At least you didn't abuse anyone this time. That's progress :) This topic is dead as far as i'm concerned, you keep default rejecting, i'll keep default dropping, and we'll see if i manage to break the Internet by doing so. regards -- gentoo-security@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-security] firewall suggestions? Kim Ingemann <mail@×××××××××××.dk>