From: Julio Cazares <cazares@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 01:43:57
1 The vast majority of hard drives today, aimed for consumer market, are
2 very low in quality assurance. I make servers, (Some of them in a low
3 cost basis, IDE obligated). In not so ancient times, the good manufacture
4 and extended warranty of HD's were a normal offering to the IDE customer.
5
6 But now and the past year I saw a lot of inconsistence in HD matters, one
7 80 GB Western digital Failed at 1 month, many others slowly but
8 completely vanished of any other use.
9
10 I believe that the HD industry as a whole are moving to SATA, and IDE are
11 seeing just like "very low end market" diminishing warranties at 1 year
12 in almost all the models, (And Many with 8 mb cache also). And sub
13 arranges plants to china and other manufacturers to comply with their
14 lines of market.
15
16 This is not a problem of which or what brand. In a consequence I think
17 now the HD's as a disposable "Temporal" storage of information.
18
19 If you want to save better your info, (And money), Purchase an Optorite
20 or Sanyo DVD+/- burner and use it to squeeze 1.4 gb on normal 700 mb
21 cd's. (HD-burn).
22
23 With that amount of Backup potential, you can add dynamism to the backups
24 and stop keeping valuable information on the now crappy drives.
25
26 But today there are a few to confident at. Western Digital DD120x. And
27 Maxtor 6Y120x Are still good for 2 year al least 7*24 service.
28
29 But now, in my service warranties, after a year on any brand, I change
30 the HD's if the server task is critical at 1.5 years period.
31
32 Raid also does not offer a better offering because it multiplies the
33 probability of failure 2 times.
34
35 RAID, I believe it works best on their native "Quality" server design and
36 manufacture: SCSI.
37
38 Putting for example 4 IDE HD's In 2 RAID channels stressed the Power
39 supply (Chinese and consumer conceived also), and this probably lead to
40 disaster on the long run.
41
42 So, One SCSI, without RAID, is better (Thinking on probabilities), Due to
43 the manufacture Quality assurance differences.
44
45 It is the same reason because the airplanes are safer with less motors,
46 (Contrary of the public opinion and feeling). Or in a car, Purchase two
47 "Unbranded" tires instead of a new Michelin.
48
49 Best Regards.
50
51 Julio.
55 On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:32:55 -0400, "Venkat Manakkal"