From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Prevent users to login directly
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 06:11:01
1 On Wed, 2004-07-28 at 15:29, Robert Ullrich wrote:
2 > On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 18:44:26 -0500
3 > Michael Ihde <ihde@××××.edu> wrote:
4 >
5 > > Why not use sudo? Then you can just
6 > >
7 > > # sudo <command_to_run>
8 > >
9 > > in your case
10 > >
11 > > # sudo emerge system
14 > The regular user (like "rob") has to be in the group "portage" to emerge things. But I
15 > won't put any user in that group. The user-account "emerge" is for administrating the
16 > local software so any admin who knows about that account should be able to emerge.
17 > But I don't want that admin to login anonymously with "emerge". He should be named
18 > first and then (only) su-ing to "emerge" instead.
19 >
20 > > If you don't want to run emerge as root, then you can change the sudoers
21 > > file to have it run under your "emerge" user. Finally, to disable
22 > > logins put an asterix in the second field of the shadow file for the
23 > > emerge user. Then no one can login as there is no password and only
24 > > root can su to the "emerge" user.
25 >
26 > Not everybody knows the root-password ;-)
27
28 That's the point of sudo - they don't _need_ to know the root password.
29 Users x, y and z can all run emerge using their own password, which is a
30 (default) option in sudoers.
31
32 Cheers
33