From: Bryan O'Shea <bryan05@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] SSH login attempts and /var/log/wtmp
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:51:49
1 On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Bryan O'Shea wrote:
2
3 > I have had these scans/logins attempted on one of my servers.
4 > I see all the attempts for guest,admin,test in my logs.
5 > They also show up when i run the command 'last'
6 > to see what users obviously have last logged in and a user test
7 > shows up. The log in time shows for 0 time logged in. I did not know that
8 > incorrect login attempts would show in the output of the command 'last' or
9 > even users that don't exist on the system.
10 > Maybe someone can explain what this means?
11
12 After further investigation I have gone through all my backup logs and
13 noticed a user test was installed on the attempts in question. The user
14 was later deleted by a bulk user cleanup script I run to delete old
15 accounts. I further saw login attempts in my logs for the user test
16 after the account was deleted and no entries showed up in my 'last'
17 output on further login attempts. I had the shell set to /bin/false.
18
19 So far this is the only explanation I have to account for the 'last'
20 entries. Sorry if i alarmed anyone but wanted to be safe instead of
21 sorry.
22
23 Thanks for the input
28 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list