From: Ard Righ <ardrigh@××××××××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Gentoo Linux Vulnerability Treatment Policy
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:12:39
1 On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 09:25, Tobias Weisserth wrote:
2 > > It means that if a vendor contacts us to notify us of a security
3 > > vulnerability in their product, but asks us to keep it confidential until a
4 > > pre-defined release date, we will respect their wishes and treat the bug as
5 > > confidential.
6 >
7 > Ah, OK. I think this explanation deserves to be in the document. :-)
8 >
9 > regards,
10 > Tobias
11
12 (/. pedantic +1)
13
14 Would it not also be prudent to state the reason the secrecy for the
15 vendor being honoured, is only to give the vendor time to confirm and
16 release a patch to fix the vulnerability ?
17
18 That way when you do get a confidential vulnerability, you know you're
19 keeping it secret for a good reason (i.e vendor has confirmed they are
20 working to fix the vulnerability), and not simply because someone asked
21 you to.
22
23 Just a thought
24 --