From: Tad Glines <tad@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 22:08:59
1 Stay away from the IBM/Hitachi TravelStar drives as well. I've gone through
2 three so far. Luckily they died slowly so I was able to get replacements
3 before they died completely. Turns out they don't like being on 24/7. I hear
4 the same is true for the DeskStar series. It may be that the Samsung drives
5 have the same only-8hrs-per-day requirement.
6
7 There are companies that can recover data from dead drives, but it costs
8 upwards of 2-4 grand. I'm just glad I haven't had to resort to that.
9
10 -Tad
11
12 > -----Original Message-----
13 > From: Dan Podeanu [mailto:pdan@×××××××××××.net]
14 > Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 9:42 AM
15 > To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
16 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
19 > I would never buy a Samsung HDD, as I would never buy an HP switch, or an
20 > LG
21 > mobile phone.
22 >
23 > Buy harddrives from those that do harddrives for a living (maxtor,
24 seagata,
25 > western digital), switches from cisco, nortel, etc., mobiles from siemens,
26 > nokia, etc.
27 >
28 > Just my imho.
29 >
30 > Sorry for your harddrive :(
31 >
32 > Cheers,
33 > Dan.
34 >
35 > ----- Original Message -----
36 > From: "Tobias Weisserth" <tobias@×××××××××.de>
37 > To: <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
38 > Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 2:52 PM
39 > Subject: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
42 > > Hi everybody,
43 > >
44 > > This doesn't seem to be my week. When I wanted to boot my Gentoo system
45 > > this morning, Grub wouldn't load. I discovered pretty fast that I am
46 > > experiencing a hard drive failure. My Samsung SP1604N quit on me. It's a
47 > > total loss. I could boot with Knoppix which recognised three of the
48 > > seven partitions and I could recover about 2GB of a total of 160GB. I
49 > > don't know what knocked it out, maybe a dying fan and death by cruelsome
50 > > heat.
51 > >
52 > > I'm afraid I can't keep the schedule and today's GLPV announcement will
53 > > have to wait until I have recovered from the system loss. It will be
54 > > some time until I have set up another system, hopefully with Gentoo. I
55 > > hope you can forgive me this inconvenience ;-)
56 > >
57 > > By the way, I lost most of my mails too. If you sent me anything
58 > > important please send it again, since I will probably not be able to
59 > > recover it. I had been in the process of setting up an IMAP server on a
60 > > different machine but mails to tobias@×××××××××.de were retrieved from
61 > > my ISP's pop server directly until today :-(
62 > >
63 > > Consider my GnuPG key void since I'm not sure I can recover it. Maybe
64 > > it's among the stuff I recovered, maybe it isn't. I'll create a new one
65 > > anyway.
66 > >
67 > > regards,
68 > > Tobias W.