From: Bart Alewijnse <scarfboy@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] Prevent users to login directly
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 15:24:17
1 gentoo-security@l.g.o
2
3 (Sorry, Mr. Aleksandrovich, and possibly other people, for the double
4 post. I wasn't paying attention, and gmail is being indecisive)
5
6 Well, call me precaffeinated if you must, but if you're only using it
7 locally, and also have root login, you can make it passwordless, so
8 that no one can use it to login, and only root can do a su emerge, but
9 it's a bit of a weird thing to do.
10 But as I recall, you can specify, in sudoers, the ability for
11 *specific* users to su to *specific* other users. So I don't seen a
12 reason you couldn't make a 'sudo su emerge' work with a passwordless
13 emerge account.
14
15 It's a little moot, because you want them to only have temporary full
16 (read: root) access while emerging, and that's -never- going to be
17 secure, you might as well give them admin rights and get it over with,
18 rather than hacking funky effective-group running combined with sudo
19 or something odd like that.
20
21 (at uni we used to have test systems, for things like kernel module
22 development, that had a 'sudo su root' option. *waits for minds to
23 boggle* Yeah. I still don't get exactly why. I mean, assuming there's
24 a vague point to sudo su nonroot, there's basically none to sudo su
25 root. Perhaps in this case, where you cold enable specific users to do
26 that, but on these systems anyone could, iirc...)
27
28 --Bart Alewijnse
31 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list