From: Tarragon Allen <lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] PAM takes a long time[Solved?].
Date: Fri, 09 Apr 2004 00:31:06
1 On Friday 09 April 2004 01:35, Volkov Peter Alexandrovich wrote:
2 > Tarragon Allen <lists@××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > > I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here, but do you have any problems
4 > > with DNS on this machine? Whenever I see long pauses on logins and such
5 > > the first thing I check is that the system can resolve names properly...
6 >
7 > I was going to answer that this can not affect, but...
8 >
9 > My subnet now doesn't have local DNS server, so all DNS server are beyond
10 > gateway. By default this computer have no access to internet, so it can not
11 > resove ip.
12 >
13 > They I tried to allow this system to resolve ip. On gateway I inserted rule
14 > so samba server could resolve ip.
15 >
16 > And now no delay!!!
17 >
18 > Ok. Problem is now solved.
19 >
20 > But what to do with DNS. I don't need DNS to allow NBT to work. But using
21 > tcpdump on gateway i could find out that this was the problem. Samba really
22 > need the answer from DNS to continue authentification. Is there any
23 > workaround?
24
25 Defining all your client machines in /etc/hosts on the server is probably the
26 easiest way, or setup a dns server on that machine that just knows how to
27 resolve the local subnet only (no forwarder).
28
29 If the local subnet is expected to change a fair bit then dns with a generated
30 entry such as :
31
32 $GENERATE 0-255 ${0} PTR machine-$.example.com.
33
34 (this example will work with bind in a reverse dns zone file- it will create
35 256 entries (0-255) starting from {0} with the resulting names being
36 machine-0.example.com, machine-1.example.com, etc)
37
38 This can help keep the admin time down, although it can make tracking down a
39 fault with a specific machine a bit difficult. :)
40
41 I hope this helps.
42
43 t