From: boger <boger@×××.ru>
To: Kirk Hoganson <gentoo-security@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] [OT?] automatically firewalling off IPs
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 18:49:48
1 Hello Kirk,
2
3 I'll appreciate it ;)
4
5 Goggling gives a lot of links to libpcap based port knockers, but I dislike idea always running in promiscuous mode. Also "magic packet" is a sort of overkill for me, because I need access from random locations with different OS'es preferably without any additional tools.
6 If computer is untrusted, after logon I can change knock sequence without leaving any keys behind. Even if password gets compromised is not so dangerous in this scenario.
7
8 By iptables based I mean using ulog or ipq to forward packets to knock daemon, thus its undetectable from outside and can be very fast.
9
10 About a year ago I tested 5 or 6 port knockers but I didn't find any
11 suitable for me. Some had terrible cpu usage on my machine,
12 some not enough flexible configuration.
15 KH> Yes, there are. I use one for my work servers that is iptables based.
16 KH> I don't have any links for you unfortunately but I have seen them. If
17 KH> you are really interested I can probably track down one I saw that used
18 KH> iptables and was a combination style. I also know of an open source
19 KH> "magic packet" style that I could probably find a link for if you were
20 KH> interested.
23 Best regards,
24 boger mailto:boger@×××.ru
27 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list