From: Mark Guertin <guertin@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] ewarn/einfo behavior (was Samba Testing Help)
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 14:25:54
1 On 12-Apr-04, at 10:37 PM, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
2
3 > I put a nice long ewarn into the ebuild saying exactly what has
4 > changed. I'm
5 > also going to include a prominent notice in the GLSA.
6
7 I think Gentoo should really look at the way ewarn and einfo happen
8 .... they don't do much good at all if you are installing more than one
9 thing. I for one would _love_ to see them all show up at the end of
10 the emerge along with the pkg that they belong with (in the case of
11 long emerges). There are a lot of false bugs (I've registered a couple
12 myself) due to this fact.
13
14 Most times you have to either a) log the entire build and go through it
15 by hand to figure out if there was crucial info that you missed or b)
17 installed to see if there are in fact ewarn's or einfo's in them.
18
19 This is kinda sucky, and it's probably been beaten to death before, but
20 here we go again ;) Ideally having the option to view just the info's
21 and warnings before the fact (and also again after) .. sort of like
22 emerge -p but maybe along the lines of emerge --infos or some such. A
23 lot of times it is preferable to see this _before_ you actually run the
24 install as a lot of them have information like "if you want this
25 feature make sure to include USE="foo". This is especially applicable
26 to ebuilds with local USE variables.
27
28 Any thoughts?
29