From: Andrew Joyce <joyce@××××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-security@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-security] System knockout :-(
Date: Tue, 06 Apr 2004 14:20:06
1 On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 06:41:47PM -0700, Julio Cazares wrote:
2 > Raid also does not offer a better offering because it multiplies the
3 > probability of failure 2 times.
4 >
5 > RAID, I believe it works best on their native "Quality" server design
6 > and
7 > manufacture: SCSI.
8 >
9 > Putting for example 4 IDE HD's In 2 RAID channels stressed the Power
10 > supply (Chinese and consumer conceived also), and this probably lead
12 > disaster on the long run.
13 >
14 > So, One SCSI, without RAID, is better (Thinking on probabilities), Due
16 > the manufacture Quality assurance differences.
17 >
18 > It is the same reason because the airplanes are safer with less
19 > motors,
20 > (Contrary of the public opinion and feeling). Or in a car, Purchase
21 > two
22 > "Unbranded" tires instead of a new Michelin.
23 >
24 > Best Regards.
25 >
26 > Julio.
27
28 Julio,
29
30 I don't believe I understand your rationale for claiming that RAID is
31 going to increase the probability of failures. If you consider the case
32 where each drive alone has a a 10% chance of failing, two drives
33 simultaneously failing should have a 1% chance of happening. This is a
34 fairly great reduction in the chance of a critical data failure.
35
36 Similarly, in a plane, virtually every control system is in some manner
37 redundant (at least in my recollection -- I'm trying to recall the
38 discussions on plane regulations and failure modes from my first year
39 engineering class). This redundancy means that if one system fails
40 there is another to take over and guide the plane to safety. Even if
41 the systems are identical with a 1% chance of failure this reduces the
42 probably of the plane becoming inoperable to 0.01%, or 1 in 10000
43 compared to 1 in 100.
44
45 I can hardly see how this is increasing the chances of your plane
46 crashing to the ground.
47
48 Andrew
51 gentoo-security@g.o mailing list