From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] creating a black hole for load testing mail servers
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 18:48:18
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > At work, we are load testing a number of different mail servers. I need to
3 > send large amounts of mail through the boxes as part of this. To get rid
4 > of the mail, I'd like to have a Gentoo box running exim or another MTA on
5 > the end of the chain that does two very simple things:
6 >
7 > * Accepts any and all mail that is sent to it, regardless of domain,
8 > recipient, etc.
9 > * Delivers all mail to /dev/null
10 >
11 > This needs to happen as fast as possible. Ideally, I'd like to prevent the
12 > mail from ever touching the disk for speed reasons, but if that's not
13 > possible through the MTA, I can accomplish the same thing by putting the
14 > spool on a RAM disk.
15 >
16 > Is this easy enough to set up? Any sample configuration files I can crib
17 > from?
18 >
19 > Thanks.
20 >
21 > --kurt
22 >
23 > P.S. if there's another way of accomplishing the same thing, please let me
24 > know. It is important, however, that the black hole actually have an SMTP
25 > conversation with the sending server. I can't just route all traffic to
26 > port 25 to /dev/null.
27
28 This might be what you're looking for.
29 http://www.wiredfool.com/2002/06/11/howToBlackholeEmailServer
30
31 You might need to play with the config on a recent version of Postfix to
32 get it to work as described. From the date it's possible he was using
33 Postfix 1.1 vs the current 2.1 version.
34
35 However, unless you have a very specific application raw throughput is
36 rarely going to tell you much about how well your mail server will
37 perform. Queue sizes, bounce handling, slow connections, content
38 filtering, number of connections, quality of the recieving or sending
39 mail server, ability to reuse a connection, etc are usually going to
40 have a greater impact on real world performance.
41
42 I would however be curious about any numbers/comparisions you come up
43 with in your testing.
44
45 kashani
46 --