From: Matthew Marlowe <mattm@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:11:03
1 > - no X and multimedia useflags by default (-esd -gnome -gtk -kde ...)
2
3 Actually, I find myself having to install at least the basic xorg stuff
4 on servers lately due to various java dependencies(app servers
5 and monitoring software/etc) - but I try to keep it as minimal as
6 possible. I know that is controversial, but I'd vote to keep the X
7 flag in. After all, its just a little more disk space and compile time.
8
9 > - put a dhcp client back in system. Not having that sucks, and we can
10 > spare the 135kB installed.
11
12 Agreed.
13
14 > - put gentoolkit in. equery, revdep-rebuild etc. are needed.
15
16 Yes, and sysstat, pci-utils, mtr, telnet client (for testing port
17 connections), etc.
18
19 > - having cron, atd, ... in system would be nice, do we want that?
20
21 I'd vote no. I have never found any agreement by sysadmins about
22 which cron daemons work best. And, many boxes dont require it.
23
24 > - use as much from hardened profiles as we can. SSP is good :-)
25 > (- use hardened-sources by default if possible, PaX etc. is very very
26 > good )
27
28 absolutely.
29
30 > - keep default CFLAGS simple - "-O2 -pipe" should be good enough
31 > - no LDFLAGS unless there are no known bugs (e.g. "-O1" breaks prelink
32 > in some cases)
33 >
34 > What applications do you install on every system? What sshould be
35 > provided for logging, monitoring, intrusion detection?
36 > Is there anything that sucks in the default profiles?
37
38 Personally, I can not stand ssmtp - the first thing I have to do on every box
39 is uninstall it and install postfix.
40
41 I also wish iptables, ifenslave, and iproute2 were included by default.
42
43 I also enable keep alives, disable pam authentication, and require
44 key authentication in the ssh server.
45
46 For monitoring, I use the hyperic-hq-agent (which is commercial, but cheap:
47 http://www.hyperic.net/).
48
49 For logging, I am experimenting with splunk (http://www.splunk.com/), but I
50 dont think there are any ebuilds yet. It has some kind of dual license where
51 the basic stuff is free, and the professional is $$.
52
53 Going forward, the new portage logging stuff is pretty cool. Getting an email
54 every time a package upgrade generates log messeges is refreshing.
55
56 Matt
57 --
58 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list