From: Devraj Mukherjee <servers@××××××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Mirroring configuration
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:53:20
1 I am in a situation where I am managing two Gentoo servers one of which
2 is the mirror of the other. I wish to mirror the two servers such that
3 one can be used as a replacement almost instantly if the other fails.
4 These servers are NOT available parallelly, its one or the other.
5
6 I face two ongoing issues with maintaining the two servers, and was
7 wodnering if there is any way to automate these.
8
9 Issue 1:
10
11 Whenever I emerge a package on the primary server, I have to manually do
12 the same on the backup server, sometimes if its a problem fix or I have
13 added a new feature in, I have to do the job over twice. Is there way
14 that I can tell emerge to sync the portage from another machine and thus
15 the two machines will have same packages installed.
16
17 Issue 2:
18
19 Since these are production servers the configuration does not change
20 much but there are somethings such as Apache vhosts that change all the
21 time. I thought of an rsync based solution for syncing the configuration
22 files but the files are all over place, resulting in too many rsync
23 modules or executions
24
25 Has anyone dealt with this situation before? I would appreciate any
26 thoughts on the issues and where I could try and find a solution to fix
27 these situations.
28
29 Thanks in advance for your time.
30
31 Kind regards,
32 Devraj
35 Eternity Technologies Pty. Ltd. ACN 107 600 975
36 P O Box 5949 Wagga Wagga NSW 2650 Australia
37 Voice: +61-2-69255866 / Fax: +61-2-69251039
38 http://www.eternitytechnologies.com/
42 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list