From: Kalin KOZHUHAROV <kalin@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] initng and runscript
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 03:53:40
1 Eric Brown wrote:
2 > It's not just init scripts that are designed poorly, it's applications
3 > that fail to daemonize and dont' return non-zero. (like apache-1.3,
4 > ntp-date, snort, etc.. most servers).
5 Yeah, that is the real problem, but that is not fixable immediately.
6
7 > I think the new baselayout has some adjustable sleep/checks on by
8 > default, but I haven't tries it yet. I suppose that would work by
9 > having the init script sleep for a short time, then check to see if a
10 > certain process is running (a dirty hack that's frowned updon by
11 > some)...
12 >
13 > Anyway, I really think this is something worth looking into, either as
14 > a separate package that implements some kind of monitoring functions
15 > in init scripts, or as a basic set of monitoring functions that are
16 > included in baselayout for developers to optionally use.
17
18 > While there are options like daemontools and rmon? I don't think they
19 > provide a very robust solution to this problem.
20 Can you elaborate on this? What is wrong with daemontools?
21
22 http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/faq/create.html#why
23
24 > Here's an idea:
25 >
26 > Have users emerge a program that can do some basic things:
27 emerge daemontools
30 > 1) check config scripts of running services for variables like:
31 > CHECK_COMMAND
32 svstat /service/daemon
33
34 > SLEEP_TIME
35 If I get you right, this is hard coded to 1 second for supervise.
36
37 > INIT_SLEEP
38 If I get you right, this is hard coded to 1 second for supervise.
39
40 > IF_DOWN_DO_THIS
41 Not sure how important is this, but flexibility can be achieved inside the ./run script of the
42 daemon. The normal thing is to start it again.
43 svc -u /service/daemon
44
45 > (those variables could optionally be implemented per package, or
46 > explicitly disabled, they would have sane defaults in a central .conf
47 > file for this enhancement package)
48 This can be worked on, the start is sys-process/daemontools-scripts.
49
50 > 2) is a cron job/daemon that automatically checks all running apps in
51 > the current runlevel, can report problems (send emails, log stuff,
52 > etc), can send heartbeat, etc..
53 Can you trust cron, started from a init script?
54 Instead a script started under supervise, as simple as this:
55 #!/bin/bash
56
57 sleep 60;
58 `svstat /service/* |grep down >/dev/null` && \
59 echo "Something is wrong" | your_favourite_mailer_here
60
61 (The above is not tested, just thought of. Feel free to improve).
62 (Like there can be intentionally down-ed services -e /service/daemon/down)
63
64 > 3) is well documented in the gentoo handbook since it's probably a
65 > vital component
66 http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html is a good start, in can be improved for sure.
67
68 > To me this kind of thing is probably simple, unixish, and robust
69 > enough for most of our needs...
70 >
71 > Any thoughs?
72 Don't top-post :-)
73
74 Kalin.
75 /known also as Korokoro or tar/
76
77 P.S. Whose MTA changes the subject with [OBORONA-SPAM] ? Please remove that; use a custom header
78 instead.
82 +-> http://ThinRope.net/ <-+
86 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list