From: Scott Ryan <scottr@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Servers running gentoo
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 08:25:50
1 On Thursday 29 July 2004 10:23, you wrote:
2 > Hi Scott,
3 >
4 > One method I would suggest for this and its what I use myself is building
5 > effectively an image of each type and save that on CD or an NFS mount.
6 > I've done that myself for each type of system we use including Ultra
7 > Sparc, X86, Athon etc. Its effectively the same as using a Stage 3 image
8 > except you've built it yourself optimized for your systems. Then you
9 > simply need to run the emerge -u world for any updates.
10 >
11 > We've taken this slightly further as well as we generally have say 100 web
12 > servers running all of the same type I build this image then just copied
13 > it over onto the systems from the NFS mount. Updates the few key files
14 > such as IP Address and Hostname and you have a new system up and running
15 > in about 20 minutes. The slow part is the copying over the network
16
17 I find that with kickstart, it is also slow over nfs; therefore i started to
18 use as it does not have as much overhead and is faster.
19
20 What i would like idealy is to be able to have some kind of config file that
21 can setup your disk mirroring, slicing of the disks and installation of built
22 packages. Then have some sort of post-installation process to run custom
23 scripts to configure IP addresses and other small bits and peices.
24
25 When i have a bit more time i will look at it again.
28 > Davin
32 (0> Scott Ryan
33 //\ Unix/Linux Systems Engineer
34 V_/_ Telkom Internet - SA