From: Eric Sammer <eric@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Gentoo Server Deployment System
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2004 06:53:25
1 All:
2
3 Some time ago, a method of automagically deploying Gentoo systems was
4 discussed in the #gentoo-server channel on Freenode. I began working on
5 a system to do just that.
6
7 Generally speaking, the GSDS runs as a client on a LiveCD or netboot'd
8 system, fetches a number of installation profiles from a server, and
9 allow for automated installation of a selected profile. There are a
10 number of other features and goals of the project, but this is the short
11 term goal.
12
13 Currently, the GSDS will fetch profiles, allow selection, set up a
14 number of files, bootstrap the system (stage1 -> stage2), and perform an
15 emerge system (stage2 -> stage3). The current code is more of a proof of
16 concept that might survive long enough to make it into some stable
17 release and is not ready for prime time at all. In short, it's currently
18 hack-tastic. I decided to release what I have early so other folks can
19 take a look, test, and provide constructive feedback. I've also released
20 some of the specification documents and papers I wrote prior to starting
21 work. These are also "greatly in flux" and are already partially out of
22 date. Again, these are available for comment and constructive feedback.
23
24 Anyone who is interested in helping in design, development, testing, or
25 any other capacity, the invitation is open. Feel free to email me
26 directly or catch me in #gentoo-server on freenode.
27
28 For those interested, I invite you to check out a small project page
29 I've set up at:
30
31 http://www.ineoconcepts.com/gentoo/gsds/
32
33 (Thanks to all those in #gentoo-server who have already contributed
34 much, especially Kurt Lieber and blackace.)
37 Eric Sammer
38 eric@××××××××××××.com
39 http://www.ineoconcepts.com
40 http://store.ineoconcepts.com