From: peter.gantner@×××××××××××××.at
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Forthcoming 2.6.13 timer frequency changes & server performance
Date: Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:47:29
1 Thanks for collecting the patches. Very handy.
2
3 Quoth Kerin Millar (on Wednesday, the 3rd of August):
4
5 > Hi folks.
6 >
7 > Another interesting point that is not mentioned above is that reducing
8 > the timer frequency can significantly help to reduce time drift
9 > (particularly on "real" SMP systems where this effect may be even more
10 > pronounced). The reason that I am posting is twofold:
11
12 What do you mean with "real" SMP?
13 Is that real as opposed to fake==Hyperthreading, or real as in "more
14 than a handful of nodes"?
15
16 > http://www.recruit2recruit.net/kerframil/2.6.12-timing-fixes-rollup.patch
17 > http://www.recruit2recruit.net/kerframil/2.6.12-gentoo-r7-timing-fixes-rollup.patch
18
19 strangely enough, the gentoo patch applies cleanly to my 2.6.12.3 tree,
20 the other does not.
21
22 > What I would like is for anyone who is interested to put an alternate
23 > value (100 or 250) to the test (if they are in a position to be able
24 > to do so) and to determine whether there is any clear performance
25 > improvement with their workload.
26
27 Will report from dual-AthlonXP 1800 system soon.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Peter G.
31 --
32 "I do not think the way you think I think."
33 -- Kai, last of the Brunnen G
34 --
35 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list