From: Josh Wyatt <Josh.Wyatt@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 22:29:15
1 Jesse, Rich wrote:
2 > It depends. I'd like to see SW RAID keep up with dual 2GB fibre
3 > attached to an IBM FAStT600. Then again, I haven't been given a budget
4 > to test this with a Linux server. :)
5
6 I have seen four FAStT600's spread across 20 x445s doing software RAID, and it is substantially faster than hardware RAID.
7 Thanks,
8 josh
12 > Also remember which RAID you're talking about. If you need parity, see
13 > my previous post about BAARF.
14 >
15 > Finally, saying the CPU is not usually the bottleneck in a database
16 > server is misleading at best. Being mainly an Oracle DBA these days,
17 > faster CPUs can *cause* CPU contention. Like I said before, "it
18 > depends". And like everything else, YMMV.
19 >
20 > Rich
21 >
22 > -----Original Message-----
23 > From: Sean Cook [mailto:scook@×××××.net]
24 > Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 3:39 PM
25 > To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
26 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
30 > Hash: SHA1
31 >
32 > kashani wrote:
33 >
34 >>Sean Cook wrote:
35 >> > Redhat In their manual:
38 >>>"With today's fast CPUs, Software RAID performance can excel against
39 >>>Hardware RAID."
40 >>>
41 >>>As I stated before, it depends on where your bottleneck is... if you
42 >>>are not cpu bound, software raid is great! and will boost IO through
43 >>>put on comparable hardware. If you are already CPU bound, forget
44 >>>software raid, it will degrade your system to a crawl...
47 >>Badly done tests circa 1998 without any sort of methodology, mention
48 >
49 > of
50 >
51 >>cluster sizes, etc is proof than any idiot can make a computer slower.
52 >>
53 >> I'll argue that a fully supported hard raid card is always
54 >
55 > superior
56 >
57 >>to a software raid by it's very nature, having local I/O cache and a
58 >>dedicated chip. However there are definitely workloads where a
59 >
60 > software
61 >
62 >>raid is good enough that spending money on a hardware raid card is
63 >>pointless. I can not imagine a case where all things being equal that
64 >>software raid would be measurably faster.
65 >>
66 >> In the event that removing your RAID card makes your disk 5x
67 >
68 > faster
69 >
70 >>I'd also recommend removing the admin who setup the original system as
71 >>well. :-)
72 >>
73 >>kashani
76 > My post did say "Back in the Day" and it was around 1999 that we did
77 > this however, then I was running unstable raid tools and they have come
78 > a long way, and I was running 2.2 kernel.
79 >
80 > However, the only people I am aware of that say the performance is
81 > better on hardware raid are hardware raid manufacturers and you... You
82 > don't work for LSI do you? Most of the linux software folks agree with
83 > me or take a mildly more conservative tone.
84 >
85 > eg:
86 >
87 > Redhat Enterprise Linux (circa 2005-2006)
88 > http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/pdf/rhel-isa
89 > -en.pdf
90 >
91 > Often the excess CPU power available for software RAID parity
92 > calculations greatly exceeds the processing power present on a RAID
93 > controller card. Therefore, some software RAID implementations
94 > actually have the capability for higher performance than hardware RAID
95 > implementations.
99 > Mysql:
100 >
101 > Hardware Versus Software
102 >
103 > Some operating systems can perform software RAID. Rather than buying a
104 > dedicated RAID controller, the operating system's kernel splits the I/O
105 > among multiple disks. Many users shy away from using these features
106 > because they've long been considered slow or buggy.
107 >
108 > In reality, software RAID is quite stable and performs rather well. The
109 > performance differences between hardware and software RAID tend not to
110 > be significant until they're under quite a bit of load. For smaller and
111 > medium-sized workloads, there's little discernible difference between
112 > them. Yes, the server's CPU must do a bit more work when using software
113 > RAID, but modern CPUs are so fast that the RAID operations consume a
114 > small fraction of the available CPU time. And, as we stressed earlier,
115 > the CPU is usually not the bottleneck in a database server anyway.
120 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list