From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 04:52:57
1 On Tue, 2004-09-07 at 14:29, Andrew Gaffney wrote:
2 > Mark Rudholm wrote:
3 > > Is it just me, or is Portage getting out of date in a lot of areas.
4 > > I keep finding that it is months out of date on software that I use.
5 > > For example, OpenVPN's latest stable release, v1.6.0 came out on May 9,
6 > > yet portage is still at 1.5.0-r1 (masked or not). The 2.0_beta releases are
7 > > nowhere to be found. KDE 3.3 is also not masked. Postfix 2.1 took a while
8 > > to show up in Portage...
9 > >
10 > > I also noticed that the GWN wasn't posted to the Gentoo website last week (or
11 > > this).
12 > >
13 > > Should I be concerned?
14 >
15 > Nope, not at all. Just remember that all of the Gentoo developers are
16 > volunteers. They work on this stuff in their spare time. If you want a newer
17 > version of a particular program in the portage tree, write an ebuild yourself
18 > and submit it via bugs.gentoo.org.
19
20 Judging by the number of ebuilds waiting in b.g.o, I'd say the lack of
21 developers is more of a problem than the lack of ebuilds. Debian has
22 approx 1,000 devs, and Gentoo has only 200 IIRC.
23
24 Cheers
25
26 Andrew