From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Dynamic DNS Server setup?
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:28:50
1 Old, Gregory wrote:
2 > Hello All,
3 >
4 > I have a question, has anybody on the list setup a Dynamic DNS server to
5 > replace WINS, DHCP setup. We have a lot of issues with IP conflicts,
6 > because admins are not excluding IPs and Techs are not assigning printers
7 > IPs in the static range. To eliminate this possibility I would like to
8 > setup a Dynamic DNS server, so if someone can provide a good source of
9 > information or if anyone has knowledge of setting this up please post
10 > information.
11
12 I don't think the solution is going to be so much technical, but rather
13 managerial. From experience adding DNS isn't much of a deterrent for
14 idiots who don't want to assign IP's properly. Someone is going to have
15 to force people to adhere to a policy.
16
17 I've had to force this type of thing at a few companies. First change
18 the general DHCP pool to a specific range. Usually you have to move a
19 couple of idiots out that range so it's clear. Once that's done change
20 the printers to DHCP and statically assign them IP's via DHCP based on
21 their MAC. The printers usually take the longest because you may need to
22 re-map them on users computers. Same with any workstations that *need*
23 static IPs, which is probably 1% of the ones that currently have a
24 static IP. The rationalizations for why someone's desktop needs a static
25 IP are always... creative.
26
27 I usually end up with something like this.
28 .1-20 routers, vpn, switches, etc
29 .21-40 servers
30 .41-60 static IP's reserved for testing/temp machines
31 .61-80 DHCP assigned printers
32 .81-99 DHCP assigned static IP'ed work stations
33 .100-254 general DHCP pool
34
35 You can do Dynamic DNS if you'd like, but I kept it simple and added
36 DNS for all the static devices like admin-printer01.domain.com,
37 video-toaster01.domain.com and then made dhcp-pool-100.domain.com,
38 dhcp-pool-101.domain.com, etc for the dhcp pool.
39
40 Once things are organized and you have a written policy you tend not to
41 have many problems unless you've got a couple of admins that think
42 requesting an IP and/or accurate reverse DNS is some sort mark against
43 their manhood. In the past I've had to resort to comparing IP's that
44 respond to pings to IP's in dhcp.lease and kick any unknown IP's off the
45 network, filter them at the firewall as possible "security intrusions",
46 or create your own IP conflict at the switch. That last is especially
47 fun because then you get to yell at admin/tech for breaking policy *and*
48 not being smart enough to pick an open IP.
49 You really shouldn't have to pull stunts like that if you've got a
50 halfway decent shop that's willing to back sane procedures.
51
52 kashani
53 --
54 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list