From: Adam Morley <adam-gentoo-server@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 11:11:19
1 On Tue, Feb 03, 2004 at 03:36:58PM -0500, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > All --
3 >
4 > I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has come up
5 > recently.
6 >
7 > There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
8 > we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA for
9 > the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
10 > dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
11 >
12 > If you were given the choice between:
13 >
14 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
15 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
16 > * only updated quarterly
17 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
18 > tree
19 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
20 >
21 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
22
23 #2. Reason: we went with Debian because it had a stable branch while gentoo didn't (stable being more like 2 than the current 'x86' tree). We probably would've picked gentoo if it had had a stable branch like #2 above.
26 adam