From: Martin Hajduch <martin.hajduch@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 07:41:33
1 >Well, ideally, everyone would have write access. If that freaks people out
2 >a bit too much, then you could have some sort of cursory review process
3 >where a group of people review ebuilds to make sure they don't have any
4 >nastiness in them.
7 I wouldn't dare to say that write access is all what is this about.
8
9 My example: I don't have time to browse through bugzilla, pick up new
10 bugs related to my knowledge, fix
11 them, track fixes until they get written into CVS.
12
13 On the other side, I'm using gentoo on production servers, and there is
14 a set of packages which I need to have
15 up to date and running. For example heartbeat, tinc, apache, mod_jk (not
16 even portage yet, i guess), mod_ssl etc ...
17 If anyone contacts me regarding problems with one of these packages, it
18 should be quite easy for me to help,
19
20 if there is a problem or a new version, then it is part of my work to
21 make sure that I get them on our system,
22 no matter whether it means writing ebuilds by myself, or waiting for
23 them to be written.
24
25 The problem, as I can see it, is that bugs in bugzilla are somehow not
26 structured in a similar way as portage tree is.
27 Or at least I don't see it.
28 I can (for example) take care of support & maintenance of several
29 packages I need for my production systems to run,
30 I'm checking for new versions and testing them anyway. I don't really
31 need to have a write access to do so, as long as
32 my fixes/patches are written within some days, I don't see a problem here.
33
34 Maybe there are another people running gentoo on production servers,
35 willing to take care of support & maintenance for
36 a set of packages they need anyway. This can reduce load from regular
37 gentoo devs so that they can concentrate on the rest.
38
39 So if there is an infrastructure to categorize bugs by packages and
40 forward them to people responsible for these packages
41 (this should be done automatically of course ...), it could be an
42 interesting experiment.
43
44 I guess that something similar has to be there already, the suggestion
45 is to 'assign' some packages to new people willing
46 to take care of them, without write access, and see what happens.
47 I would say that bugzilla should allow to specify an exact package, and
48 package should have a possibility to have a maintainer;
49 so when the bug is written, responsible person gets an email.
50
51 Just an idea ...
52
53 Regards,
54 Martin Hajduch
57 There are only 10 kinds of people in the world.
58 Those who understand binary and those who don't.

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature