From: Jean Blignaut <jean@×××××××.biz>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] dissapearing virtual maildirs
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2006 07:22:02
1 -----Original Message-----
2 From: Ow Mun Heng [mailto:Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com]
3 Sent: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 9:06 AM
4 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
5 Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] dissapearing virtual maildirs
6
7 On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 08:53 +0200, Jean Blignaut wrote:
10 > So I was wondering if there is some way to devide file permissions
11 into
12 > more than just rwx how about "may be deleted by" - u/g/o and maybe
13 "may
14 > be created by" - u/g/o or some such (call it precation or maybe just
15 > laziness to implement too much error checking in scripts) I hope that
16 > some thing like this is covered by extended attributes or some thing
17 but
18 > I haven't had too much luck finding documentation on the subject.
19
20 Have you looked at ACLs?
21
22 getfacl
23 setfacl etc?
24
25 They do provide more fine grained controls. Eg: file owned by root:root,
26 but you want user "popeye" to be able to write to it.
27
28 eg: setfacl -m u:popeye:rwx,u:oliveoil:r filename
31 rememeber to mount your dir with "acl" mount -o remount,acl /dev/hdX
34 Ow Mun Heng
35
36 Thanks I'll look into that but it seams more user/access orientated
37 rather than giving me more elaborate permissions/attributes.
38 I seem to remember that in Novelle DOS 7 199* they had security
39 attribs/perms like create,delete,overwrite,move,read so that if you had
40 only overwrite and read you would be able to edit a file but not delete
41 it.
42
43 Some thing like that around? Inoticed that vserver seems to use some
44 sort of attribs but can't quite figure out how they work exactly
48 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list