From: Wang Penghui <wangpenghui@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] easy explanation of the strength of 3DES (and perhaps also IDEA)?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:55:35
1 Martin Hajduch wrote:
2
3 > hi,
4 >
5 >> I don't get it. Does this mean, if I use IDEA over SSL to secure my
6 >> website which provide application services to end users, I must pay
7 >> for pattent? Or only mean if I wish to develop and *release* my
8 >> application using IDEA? In first case, I am myself an end user / web
9 >> content producer of IDEA, in the latter case, I am the software
10 >> vendor, not end user. Do I have to pay IDEA patent as end user?
13 > if you are end user, or you run your own website, you don't need to be
14 > concerned
15 > only if you would like to develop a new web server (for example) and
16 > use IDEA algorithm,
17 > it either has to be for non commercial purposes only, or you have to pay
18 >
19 >>> IDEA is faster (current implementation of IDEA are approx twice as
20 >>> fast as DES implementations)
23 >> Do you mean IDEA is approx twice as fast as 3DES in case of SSL?
26 > unless you have some special hardware for these algorithms (which
27 > 'standard' PCs do not have),
28 > then yes IDEA is approx twice as fast then 3DES (in any case,
29 > including SSL)
30 >
31 > for some numbers, look here:
32 > http://www.esat.kuleuven.ac.be/~bosselae/fast.html
33
34 I have seen your webpage and i found your CPU is 90mhz, Would it change
35 in dual xeon2.4Ghz? Or any other would appear?
38 > regards,
39 > martin hajduch