From: TRauMa <trauma@××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] How many years does a Pentium 1GHz PC averagely need to crack IDEA?
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 15:22:36
1 Zhang Weiwu wrote:
2
3 > Hello. First my math skill is very bad. I cannot understand the
4 > cryptology (even though I tried). I am now using IDEA for my server's
5 > SSL. My users wish to know how safe it is, I wish I can give a clear
6 > answer.
7 >
8 > I don't know if cracking IDEA is anything related to the content
9 > length? I mean, does decrypt a 100Bytes encrypted document same
10 > difficult as decrypting a 100MBytes document?
11
12 Yes. Cracking time depends on algorithm and key length (or key length
13 only, if you apply brute force). After you cracked the key, you can
14 decrypt the message as fast as anyone having the key.
15
16 > If cracking time is not related to content length, how difficult to
17 > crack it? If I have a Pentium 1GHz PC, how many years averagely do I
18 > need to crack it? 1,000 years? 1,000,000 years?
19
20 If this is multiple choice, I'd choose the latter :-). Let's just say
21 it's not feasible to crack the key, most data corruption is done through
22 man-in-the-middle, root kits/keylogger, password as post-it on
23 pc-screen... Anyone having the ressources to crack IDEA should also be
24 able to find a weaker link.
25
26 HTH,
27 T.