From: "Ian P. Christian" <pookey@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] general advise on running a package repository
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 17:38:33
1 I've currently got about 30 gentoo servers that I need to maintain, and this
2 number will increase significnatly shortly.
3
4 I would like to move to an automated way of keeping these servers up to date.
5
6 Firstly, I would like to use binary packages. I initially thought about having
7 a repository pre architecture, and standardising on cflags and use flags -
8 however this isn't feasable if you need to alter the use flags on just one
9 server - installing from the binary package will result in the wrong package
10 being installed.
11
12 Ideally, there would be a way to make emerge make a hash of the use flags and
13 cflags it's using to compile a package, and then look
14 for /repository/package-<hash> as the binary package - however I'm quite sure
15 this kind of feature doesnt' exist. Perhaps there is an alternative?
16
17 Also, if I upgrade 30 servers, I certainly don't want to log into each one to
18 do an etc-update on 101 files which I've not ever modified in the first
19 place.
20
21 How do you manage your servers effectivly?
22
23 Kind Regards,
24
25 Ian P. Christian