From: Wendall Cada <wendallc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] what is the best filesystem for a server
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 03:34:05
1 Oliver Schad wrote:
2 > Am Mittwoch, 21. Mai 2008 schrieb mir Edward Muller:
3 >
4 >> reiserfs, purely from the recovery angle.
7 > Yeah, if you have fuck up in the B-Trees, it's the best filesystem purely from
8 > the rubbish heap's angle.
9 >
10 > regards
11 > Oli
14 Oli is correct. If reiser dies, the data is completely lost. It writes
15 to the journal first, then writes the data. That, and when it decides to
16 completely kill your B-Trees, you're screwed. After three unrecoverable
17 reiserfs issues, I moved over to ext3 and have been very happy.
18
19 I personally think the speed differences on most production servers is
20 negligible. At the end of the day, I'd much rather have my data intact
21 than have it be X% faster in certain situations. Also, ext3 has quite a
22 few configuration options to optimize for your particular needs. See
23 /etc/mke2fs.conf for some example configurations. The main problem
24 you'll have with ext3 is that you cannot change to things like the block
25 size or number of inodes on-the-fly like you can with xfs. So make sure
26 what you format with will suit your needs. The one other major strength
27 of ext3 is that it is able to change to ext2 or ext4 without
28 reformatting the partition. You cannot do this with reiser or any of the
29 others. reiserfs3 is not compatible with reiserfs4 for example.
30
31 And I've got to think that the NTFS comment was entirely sarcasm.
32
33 Wendall
34 --
35 gentoo-server@l.g.o mailing list