From: Wade Mealing <wmealing@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-server] NFS root issue
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:12:28
1 I have PXE boot successfully working, and a very basic script written to
2 do networked deployments. (Not suitable for use, just yet).
3
4 This is how i have it working right now, told from the client machine
5 perspective. This is x86 specific, but it could be easily applied to
6 other architectures.
7
8 The order below has been broken up into sections so that it can be used
9 to handle alternative Operating systems, or alternative methods.
10
11 -- Boot stage
12 Gets IP from DHCP server
13 Gets Kernel via TFTP
14 mounts nfs root.
15 continues to boot from new NFSroot partition
16 -- End Boot Stage
17
18 -- Base install
19 Gets custom (/etc/ and script) for this hardware config.
20 Loads modules
21 partition drives
22 untar base stage 3 for i586 (lowest common demoninator)
23 chroot to new fs
24 -- Base Install
25
26 -- Initial Configuration
27 gets new config files from GOLD server (SVN)
28 rebuilds world with correct cpu type ..
29 (Possibly mounting a packages dir)
30 Build Kernel (Via genkernel or prebuilt)
31 Run bootloader.
32 reboot. *
33 -- Initial Configuration
36 At the moment, things are quite messy, and im hoping for GLIS to
37 do some of the heavy lifting. At the moment its C#/Bash and I havent
38 done any error handling.
42 --- Problems so far
43
44 * NFS root doesnt seem to unmount nicely
45 - eth0 comes down before unmounting fs
46 - sig kill kills mounts anyway, even if you fix that
49 Thats the story, i'll keep you posted.
52 ---
53 Wade Mealing <wmealing@g.o>