From: Andrew Gaffney <agaffney@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Challenging Update Question
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 12:17:19
1 Collin Starkweather wrote:
2 > This may seem a novice question, but can you build a 2.6 kernel and use
3 > it to boot a system built against 2.4? That is, to divide the move into
4 > two testable components, kernel and everything else,
5
6 This will probably bite you in the ass. Most notably, support for devfs was
7 dropped around 2.6.13, so unless you are managing a static /dev, you're going to
8 need udev. However, I'm not sure if the baselayout from that long ago had any
9 notion of udev or if you can even build udev while running a 2.4 kernel (this is
10 probably less of an issue).
11
12 Really, the "best" way to do this is to just do a new install on the second
13 drive. However, you might have some of the problems noted above, since you're
14 still running a 2.4 kernel while building a system intended for 2.6.
15
16 I guess that your only remaining "sane" option is to build a new install on a
17 "local" machine, and then rsync the entire thing over to the 2nd drive in your
18 existing machine. Then setup grub to boot from the install on the 2nd drive by
19 default.
22 Andrew Gaffney http://dev.gentoo.org/~agaffney/
23 Gentoo Linux Developer Catalyst/Installer + x86 release coordinator
24 --
25 gentoo-server@l.g.o mailing list