From: peter.gantner@×××××××××××××.at
To: gentoo-server@××××××××××××.org
Subject: [gentoo-server] linux-headers: insanity? WAS: linux-headers update?
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:24:49
1 Quoth fire-eyes, on Wednesday, the 30th of March:
2
3 > I have noticed a bit of noise here on the topic of 2.6 versions of
4 > linux-headers.
5
6 Yes.
7
8 As the topic has cropped up I want to ask a question that has bothered me
9 for quite some time now.
10
11 In a LKML post [1] about the symlinking of /usr/include/linux to
12 /usr/src/linux/include/ which has been done for quite some time in older
13 Linux distributions, Linus calls doing this "instanity" and states that the
14 kernel headers used to compile glibc and friends should always be taken
15 from the glibc distribution (which includes a patched set of kernel
16 headers) and one should not use the headers from the kernel.org tarball.
17
18 But this is exactly what Gentoos linux-headers package does: get the kernel
19 tarball and install the required files. The result is in effect not really
20 different from the old symlinking method.
21
22 Now am I misreading Linus' recommendation?
23 When he sais:
24
25 > Basically, that symlink should not be a symlink. It's a symlink for
26 > historical reasons, none of them very good any more (and haven't been for
27 > a long time), and it's a disaster unless you want to be a C library
28 > developer. Which not very many people want to be.
29
30 > The fact is, that the header files should match the library you link
31 > against, not the kernel you run on.
32
33 and later:
34 > [...] you should not use the kernel headers: You should use the headers
35 > that glibc came with. It is probably a Red Hat bug that those headers
36 > were a symbolic link.
37
38 Does that mean:
39 a) glibc comes with patched kernel headers that should always be used when
40 compiling other applications/libs
41 or
42 b) it doesn't matter what kernel headers you use to build your glibc with
43 as long as any apps that use glibc use the very same headers at compile
44 time.
45
46 Thanks in advance for clarifying(sp?) this.
47
48 Peter G.
49
50 [1] http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Kernel/usr-src-linux-symlink.html
53 "I do not think the way you think I think."
54 -- Kai, last of the Brunnen G
55 --
56 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list