From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Advice on Gentoo Servers
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:11:37
1 Eric Brown wrote:
2 > Most people can probably get away with using chroots instead of
3 > completely separate machines for testing. The only major concern
4 > there is whether or not you have the computing resources available to
5 > build on the same host that your production applications run on.
6
7 I interpreted corporate to mean "everyone is gone by 6pm" so it's roll
8 in around 11am on Tuesday and do an update starting around 6:30pm that
9 night. However that might not be the case. I've never had issues doing
10 updates in off hours usually 1-3am on lightly loaded servers, but that
11 depends on your hardware and workload.
12
13 Here are some compile times since I was playing with some new boxes today.
14
15 3.0Ghz Xeon w/2MB cache w/HT, 1GB RAM, single drive
16 time to compile Mysql 5.0.19 w/-j3 - 23 minutes
17
18 2x 3.0Ghz Xeon w/2MB cache w/HT, 4GB RAM, raid 1 w/256 cache
19 time to compile Mysql 5.0.19 w/-j3 - 9 minutes
20
21 2x dual core 2.8Ghz Xeon w/2MB cache/core w/HT, 8GB RAM, raid1 w/256 cache
22 time to compile Mysql 5.0.19 w/-j8 - 7 minutes
23
24 In the last case I could renice or use -j5 and load would stay under 3
25 meaning the OS could have the remaining resources which would likely be
26 enough in off hours. However some of these boxes may be of a slightly
27 different scale than other admins
28
29 I am curious about how other people do updates once they've decided
30 there is no issue and how hardware/load plays a part in the process.
31
32 kashani
33 --
34 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list